A Review of the Nigerian Energy Industry

7 feared dead, 30 injured in Kano fuel protests

*Govt imposes nighttime curfew on city

AbdulSalam Muhammad

10 January 2012, Sweetcrude, KANO – No fewer than seven people were killed and more than 30 injured in Kano State on Monday when the security agencies allegedly opened fire on unarmed protesters against removal of fuel subsidy by the federal government.

Victims of the gunshots were said to be receiving treatment at various hospitals in the state as the government imposed nighttime curfew on the city.

Announcing the imposition of the curefew to journalists, the State Commissioner for Information, Faruk Jubril, said: “Following the sad incidents in the city today where some hoodlums hijacked a peaceful protest by labour unions, the state government hereby imposes a 14-hour curfew,” Kano state information commissionertold journalists.

“Starting from tonight, people are hereby ordered to remain indoors between 6:00 pm and 8:00 am until further notice. This is to ensure maintenance of law and order.”

At the Murtala Specialist Hospital, the Chairman of the Nigeria Medical Association, Kano chapter, Dr Daiyabu Alhaji told reporters that over 15 persons were placed on admission and were being treated of gunshot wounds.

At Abdullahi Wase Specialist Hospital , no fewer than 14 people were also placed on admission for medical attention for injuries sustained during the attack.

Addressing newsmen, the Executive Secretary, Red Cross Society of Nigeria in Kano, Musa Danladi Abdullahi stated that 14 people were brought to the Hospital midday, adding that seven of them were victims of gunshot.

Meanwhile, o

fficials announced a nighttime curfew for the northern city of Kano on Monday after clashes between police and protesters seeking to storm the governor’s office left two people dead.

The police commissioner for Kano state, where Kano city is the capital, said the authorities were forced to respond to the violence.

He confirmed one person killed, seven injured and 23 arrested. A hospital source said earlier that two people died from gunshot wounds in Kano.

Protests were held as part of a nationwide strike that kicked off on Monday over soaring petrol prices in Africa’s most populous nation and largest oil producer.

“The protest organised by the labour unions was going on peacefully and the protesters had the permission of police to march from the labour secretariat to the race course for their rally,” Police Commissioner Ibrahim Idris said.

“Suddenly from nowhere a group of criminals besieged the government house and tried to force themselves in. They overpowered the policemen on duty, who had to seek reinforcements from soldiers to disperse the rampaging crowd.”

In this article

Join the Conversation