10 January 2012, Sweetcrude, ABUJA – Nigerian President Goodluck Jonathan met his security chiefs on Tuesday as he came under mounting pressure on the second day of a nationwide strike over fuel prices and amid violence blamed on Islamists.
The strike has paralysed the country and at least 11 people have been killed since it started on Monday.
Hafiz Ringim, the country’s police chief could only confirm three deaths related to the strike.
“As far as the records are concerned, three people have so far lost their lives,” he said.
He praised the labour movement, which called for the indefinite strike, for “peaceful” conduct, but said “miscreants” tried to hijack the protest.
“Over 30 vehicles were burnt in Kano government house,” he told reporters after the meeting between President Jonathan and the security chiefs.
The meeting, held in Jonathan’s office, included the chief of defence staff, Ringim, defence minister, vice president Namadi Sambo.
On Tuesday, part of a mosque was burnt in the southern city of Benin and elsewhere gangs set up burning roadblocks, police fired tear gas and businesses shut on the second day of a national strike that has paralysed the country and sparked deadly violence.
Security forces are also already under heavy pressure over spiralling violence blamed on Islamist group Boko Haram.
Recent deadly attacks on Christians have sparked fears of a wider religious conflict in a country whose population is divided between a mainly Muslim north and predominantly Christian south.