02 November 2012, Sweetcrude, ABUJA — THE noose may indeed be closing in on the perpetrators of the fuel subsidy scam as sources said President Goodluck Jonathan has refused to give audience to desperate marketers who made frantic efforts to get the government to soft pedal on their trial.
Sources disclosed, Wednesday, in Abuja that some of those who had been indicted and representatives of those standing trial wanted to see the president but were rebuffed.
It was gathered that in the last one week, indicted marketers have been making frantic efforts to meet the president without success while their moves to link up with some presidential aides have also not yielded the desired result.
It was gathered that, President Jonathan also warned his aides against meeting those indicted or standing trial, warning them sternly that anyone implicated would have himself to blame.
An official in the presidency said the president does not want to be seen with those responsible for the massive corruption and has also told his aides not to meddle in the on-going cases instituted by the Economic and Financial crimes Commission, EFCC, against the marketers.
Several influential people and their family members have been indicted over the subsidy scam and some are already standing trial in various law courts.
“The marketers have become desperate and we are expecting various types of attacks in the next few days. But we are happy that Nigerians cannot be fooled. It is too late to discredit the thorough job of the committee that investigated the subsidy,” the official said.