A Review of the Nigerian Energy Industry

Statoil in fresh gas discovery in Tanzania

22 December 2012, Sweetcrude, Dar Es Salaam – Norway’s Statoil has announced a new gas find in Tanzania.

The discovery, the third in the East African country this year, was made with an appraisal well drilled off Tanzania.

Statoil said in a statement that the Lavani-2 probe drilled in the company’s prolific Block 2 discovered a “separate and significant” gas-bearing reservoir in the Cretaceous when testing the secondary Saffron target at a deeper interval at the earlier Lavani-1 find.

“An increase in the upside potential of the block is expected following further evaluations of the well,” it stated.

The existing Zafarani and Lavani discoveries made in the block by operator Statoil and partner ExxonMobil are currently estimated to hold combined resources of 9 trillion cubic feet.

Statoil said the pair would announce a resource update for the block next year with the latest find set to strengthen the case for a planned liquefied natural gas development.

The Lavani-2 well is the third of a four-well campaign to be carried out within one year, with an appraisal at Zafarani the next probe lined up.

Statoil operates Block 2 with a 65% stake on behalf of Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation, with ExxonMobil holding the remaining 35%.

In this article

Join the Conversation