A Review of the Nigerian Energy Industry

Sunbird gets South African boost

Sunbird-Energy-Buys-Stake-in-Irubesi-Gas-Project-Off-South-Africa04 November 2013 – South Africa-focused explorer Sunbird Energy has received an independent certification for the estimated contingent resources at its Mopane coalbed methane project.

The assessment by MHA Petroleum Consultants estimated the South African project to contain a best estimate contingent gas resource of 644 billion cubic feet.

The estimate was based on the initial drilling campaign in the east of the licence which only covered roughly 124 square kilometres of the total 1577 square kilometre licence area.

Sunbird managing director Will Barker said the resource estimate, combined with the licence’s location near the national power transmission grid, meant Mopane had the potential to be developed as a large scale power project.

“Independent verification of the recoverable gas volumes provides Sunbird with the confidence to move forward with our partners into pilot production testing in 2014,” he said.

The Mopane project lies in South Africa’s Limpopo Province, about 420 kilometres north-east of Johannesburg.

Sunbid holds a 74% stake in the project, with Umbono Capital Partners holding the remaining 26% interest.
*Josh Lewis, Upstreamonline

In this article

Join the Conversation