A Review of the Nigerian Energy Industry

N500bn SURE-P fund not missing – Agwai

SURE-P-251126 November 2013, Kaduna – Kaduna — The purported disappearance of N500 billion from the Federal Government’s Subsidy Re-investment and Empowerment Programme (SURE-P) is untrue, the National Vice Chairman of the programme, retired Gen Martin Luther Agwai said yesterday.

Agwai said in Kamanton, Zangon Kataf Local Government Area of Kaduna State at the launch of Maternal and Child Health Programme Conditional Cash Transfer that the money was shared to states and local governments.

Represented by a committee member of the SURE-P and former military governor of Borno State, retired Col. Abdulmumuni Aminu, Agwai said such amount of money cannot disappear.

“We have numerous programmes under the SURE-P cut across railway, road transport, bridges, health and so many other areas,” he said.

“The states and the local government are also involved in this venture. One point which we want to clarify is that National SURE-P of which I am a committee member received 41 percent of the subsidy money. The remaining 59 percent is shared to states and local governments. That is why a lot of people are saying that N500 billion is missing. The money is not missing, that is the money that has gone to the states and the local governments. People thought the entire money was given to SURE-P at the national level. That is not the correct situation. We have been doing so much and we will continue to do it.”

He said the SURE-P health programme has made rapid progress in saving women and children during delivery, adding that about 1,000 primary health care centres and 250 general hospitals have been equipped in the six-geopolitical zones for that purpose.

– DailY Trust

In this article

Join the Conversation