22 January 2014, Minna – The Niger Government on Tuesday said it had spent N5 billion under the Subsidy Re-investment Programme (SURE-P) in 2013.
The Director-General in charge of the programme in the state, Alhaji Hassan Nuhu, said this in Minna while fielding questions from newsmen on the achievements of the programme.
He said the programme had engaged 4,000 youths last year, adding that the money was spent on youth empowerment and institutional upgrade.
Nuhu said the state government would spend another N5 billion this year on the upgrade of some facilities in agriculture, transport, education and other sectors of the economy.
He said the state government had purchased buses, cars and tricycle to boost the transport sub-sector and engage unemployed youths in the state.
He said the government had also renovated the schools of agriculture at Tegina, Kuta and Mokwa, to train youths on farming.
Nuhu said a three-star hotel was being constructed near Legbo Kutigi Conference Centre, Minna, while the General Hospital, Minna, was being expanded.