A Review of the Nigerian Energy Industry

Farmer electrocuted in Sandema

Sandema, Ghana26 February 2014, Accra – A 57-year-old farmer from Bilensa, near Sandema in the Builsa South District, on Thursday met his untimely death, when he was electrocuted. The farmer, whose name was given only as Azetiska, was said to have climbed a neem tree to cut a branch, but unknown to him, some high tension cables were passing through the tree.

Felix Aboya, an eyewitness, said he saw the deceased climb a neem tree, and that when the deceased’s cutlass touched a wet branch of the tree, sparks of fire came out.

He said, sensing danger, the deceased attempted to descend to safety, but was blocked by another branch leading to his electrocution.

The incident was reported to the Sandema police, and Mr. Azetiska’s body conveyed to the Sandema District Hospital for autopsy.

Some residents of the area said this was about the second time within a month, but fortunately, the first victim survived. Mr. Azetiska left behind a wife and five children.
*The Chronicle

In this article

Join the Conversation