Ugborodo crisis: Tonwe begs military to save his people

Ugborodo community14 March 2014, Warri – The factional leader of Ugborodo community in Warri South-West Local Government Area of Delta State, Mr. David Tonwe, has called on the Federal Government to be proactive, and not treat any security breach in Ugborodo with kid gloves.

Speaking to Vanguard in Lagos,  Tonwe said that the whole of Ogidigben axis in Ugborodo, during the week, was subjected to series of bombardments with high calibre arms and ammunition, with inhabitants forced to flee into the swamp.

He said: “I left for Abuja on Monday on the invitation of one of the branches of the military institutions, which has put in much efforts to find solution to the crisis in Ugborodo. We had the scheduled meeting for Tuesday and left the venue by 2p.m. It was at 8p.m., that I started receiving calls from my people that had fled into the swamp and were calling on me to inform government that Ogidigben had been invaded by armed groups and the uniformed personnel on ground were allowing the invaders to have a free day.”

He blamed the security agencies in the area for looking the other way, while a community was being subjected to armed attack with unspecified numbers of persons either injured or fleeing into the swamp.
He explained that “as at now, I cannot give any concrete information, but to appeal to security officers in the area to come to the rescue of my people, who are now being driven from their lands.”

Tonwe appealed to the high command of both the Nigerian Navy and Police to direct their personnel on ground to be professional and neutral, particularly in preventing further armed invasion of the commnity.


About the Author