FG approves N31.2bn power contract

Minister of State for Power, Mr. Mohammed Wakil


21 August 2014, Abuja – The Federal Executive Council on Wednesday approved a contract to the tune of N31.2bn for the evacuation of power from the 40 megawatts Kashimbila Multipurpose Dam.

The approval was given during the council’s meeting presided over by President Goodluck Jonathan.

The Minister of Information, Labaran Maku; his Health counterpart, Onyebuchi Chukwu; Minister of State, Power, Muhammed Wakil; Minister of State, Health, Khaliru Alhassan; and Director-General, Bureau of Public Procurement, Emeka Eze, briefed State House correspondents of the meeting’s outcome.

Wakil said the contract was awarded to the contractor currently building the dam, SCC Nigeria Limited, and that the project was expected to be completed in 18 months.

He said apart from the additional megawatts of power that it would add to the national grid on completion, the project would also create employment opportunities for the people of the community.

Alhassan said he briefed the council on the progress being made to completely eradicate polio from the country.

He said so far, only six cases of polio had been recorded in the country, with the affected states being Kano and Yobe.

“The council was happy about the progress made. We have the belief that sooner than expected, polio will be eradicated in the country,” he said.

Eze, on his part, said a committee headed by him presented the report of a technical assessment it carried out on 15 ongoing erosion projects in the South East to the council.

He said the first phase of about six of the projects had been completed, while others were between 60 per cent and 90 per cent completed.


– The Punch

About the Author