03 October 2014, News Wires – US supermajor ExxonMobil continues to monitor the progress of a worsening Ebola outbreak in West Africa while confirming that plans to drill offshore wildcats in Liberia remained suspended, its chief executive said in Houston.
Upstream reported in July that plans had been delayed for the Mesurado-1 wildcat, understood to be drilled before the end of the year in Block LB-13 in partnership with Canadian Overseas Petroleum.
Chief executive Rex Tillerson gave a brief update on the situation at a press conference on Tuesday to announce an $18 million donation to three Houston hospitals, Reuters reported.
“We had some drilling plans for some blocks offshore West Africa in Liberia,” Tillerson said.
“We are having to look at when it would be prudent to resume operations there because you do have to have shore-based support.”
So far the disease has killed at least 3338 people, the worst outbreak in history, chiefly in Liberia, Sierra Leone and Guinea but has also affected Nigeria and Senegal.
A first case in the US was reported in Dallas on Tuesday.
British explorer Tullow Oil also said in July it would not renew concessions in Sierra Leone and Liberia which expired in June and August respectively.