Brazil’s blast FPSO ‘had proper permits’ – BW

16 February 2015, News Wires – BW Offshore is confident it has the correct permitting for a floater that suffered a deadly explosion in Brazil last week as reports indicate it may be fined over licensing issues.

Cidade de Sao Mateus

Cidade de Sao Mateus FPSO

The Norwegian contractor continues to search for four people missing followingWednesday’s blast on the Cidade de Sao Mateus floating production, storage and offloading unit that left five workers dead.

Delivering the company’s full-year results on Monday, BW chief financial officer Knut Saetre was asked if the company had the requisite licence to operate the unit in Brazil, following local media reports the company may be fined for a lack of proper licensing.

“So far as we are concerned, we should be OK with all our permits,” Saetre said.

The finance boss, delivering the results as chief executive Carl Arnet has flown to Brazil to meet with families of the deceased and missing, confirmed that four people remain missing.

The blast on the FPSO off the coast of Espirito Santo killed four Brazilians and one Indian. All four missing are Brazilian nationals.

Saetre said only two people remain in hospital.

– Upstream

About the Author