Confusion as cables electrocute electricity worker

21 April 2015, Lagos – A yet-to-be-identified man was electrocuted when the cables on a pole he mounted on Sunday triggered electrical sparks.

Many passersby and residents of Omolara Street, off the Yakoyo area of Ojodu, Lagos, scampered to safety as the man was gripped by the electrical surge.


File copy photo of a power cable vandal electrocuted in Jos

He was said to be replacing old cables with new ones on the street when the incident occurred at about 4.50pm.

Our correspondent, who was at the scene, saw one of his colleagues climbing the ladder to rescue the victim, who was immediately taken to a nearby hospital.

Many of those who witnessed the incident expressed hope that the hospital would save him.

A resident of the area, Mr. Sebastine Ilogwu, said electrical works on some newly fixed poles within the neighbourhood started seven days earlier.

He added that the man was about completing the fixing of some cables on one of the poles when electricity was restored.

Ilogwu said, “The degree of the electrical shock was intense.

“We can only hope that God will spare his life. It is a sad development because he was actually carrying out a legitimate duty.”

Another resident, who gave her name as Mrs. Biobaku, stated that the area had been in darkness for about three weeks.

She said, “Workers of the electricity distribution firm for this area came last week Monday to change the cables after mounting new poles.

“I pray that the man survives. The electric shock was too much.”

Many of the residents later gathered in groups to discuss the incident.

The ladder painted in red hue, which the man mounted, was later removed by some of his colleagues.


– Punch

About the Author