8 dead, 101 injured as gas cylinder explodes in Jos

25 July 2015, Jos – It was another black Saturday morning in Jos as a chlorine gas cylinder exploded at the Plateau State Lamingo Water Board treatment plant, killing eight persons and injuring 101 others.

cooking gasEye witnesses confirmed that excess chlorine gas inhalation was still prevalent as at midday on Saturday even as OLA Hospital, Bingham University Teaching Hospital, Plateau Specialist Hospital and Air Force Hospital battled to save the lives of victims that struggled from the gas poisoning.

At the hospitals, little children were seen with bloated abdomens, while adults were seen gasping for breath.

Two students from the National Film Institute (NFI), Jos, which is close to the water treatment plant, were among the victims that died.

While condoling with victims and the families, Director of Press & Public Affairs (DOPPA) to the state Governor, Mr Emmanuel Nanle, who confirmed the incident to the press, added that the state government was already taking immediate measures to address the issues, noting that expired components of the treatment plant will be done away with to guard against future occurrence.

Nanle added, “The contamination has been contained and does not affect the water which has been supplied to public mains; water from the public mains is safe for consumption and is not affected in anyway by the aerial contamination of chlorine from the explosion.”

The state Police Public Relations Officer  (PPRO), Mr Emmanuel Abuh, also confirmed the incident, which he said was “as a result of chlorine explosion from a treatment plant at Water Board.”

Abuh said the treatment plant had been cordoned off while the management of the plant had been advised to take necessary precautionary steps.

About the Author