30 July 2015, Yenagoa – Ogbia Local Government Area of Bayelsa State was been thrown into mourning as a result of the death of five persons from generator fumes and fire outbreak.
Their corpses were reportedly discovered three days after their deaths following an “offensive odour” that emanated from their decomposing bodies.
A community source, who spoke on condition of anonymity, said “The entire family slept on Sunday. There was no sign of them till Wednesday afternoon when we started perceiving foul odour from their house.
“The odour was saturating the entire neighbourhood and it got us curious.
“The family always kept to themselves and that was why nobody discovered their condition on time. Toxic gas from a generator killed them. They must have inhaled it over night. We called the police.”
Confirming the incident, the police identified the deceased family’s name as Ibieneye Tubotamuno.
Police Public Relations Officer, Bayelsa State Command, Mr. Asinim Butswat, said bodies of the victims were discovered at about 3:50pm on Wednesday following distress calls to the police by people of the area.
Butswat said, “On July 29, 2015 at about 1550hrs, policemen responded to a distress call, that a foul smell was oozing out of the house of one Ibieneye Tubotamuno, at Emeyal Community, in Ogbia LGA.
“The policemen forced the house open and discovered the dead bodies of Ibieneye Tubotamuno, male, 34; Jennifer Asiagbuladia, female, 30 and Goodluck Tubotamuno, boy, eight years.
“Preliminary investigation revealed, that the deceased must have died about three days back, when they were last seen, as a result of inhaled fumes from a generator exhaust, which was kept inside their living room.
“Corpses have been deposited at the Federal Medical Centre, Mortuary, Yenagoa, for autopsy. Investigation is ongoing.”