…Commences free installation of meters
Kunle Kalejaye 20 October 2015, Sweetcrude, Lagos – The Eko Electricity Distribution Company, EKEDC, has sacked all of its staff found not have taken appropriate steps that could have prevented the recent electrocution of a University of Lagos, UNILAG, 300-level student, Chief Executive Officer of the company, Engr. Oladele Amoda, has said.
University of Lagos
Amoda said the affected officers were supposed to have earlier converted the electricity line that electrocuted the student to underground cables.
He said measures have been put in place to compensate the affected family through EKEDC’s insurance company.
He explained that the snapped overhead power line that led to the death of Miss Juliana Oluchi Anekwe,was part of the obsolete network inherited from defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria, PHCN.
“The incident was more painful to us because the line was already slated for conversion to underground cables as part of our network upgrade project when the incident occurred.
“If only the conversion of the overhead lines to underground cables had been carried out a little earlier, this sad incident would not have occurred,” Engr. Amoda said.
He added that the company will continue to work cooperatively with the Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency, NEMSA, and Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission, NERC, to ensure safety and conformity to best standards.
Meanwhile, Engr. Amoda said a total of 7, 500 maximum demand meters have been procured at the cost of N2.8 billion and another 50, 000 meters for non-maximum demand customers to tackle metering challenges within its network.