Electrocution: NERC fines Abuja Disco N18m for negligence

10 November 2015, Abuja – For its negligence which led to the electrocution and death of an eight -year-old girl in Anguwan Dodo, Gwagwalada, the Abuja Electricity Distribution Company (AEDC) has been fined N18 million by the Nigerian Electricity Regulatory Commission (NERC).

*NERC Chairman-Dr. Sam-Amadi.

Dr. Sam Amadi, NERC Chairman

NERC, yesterday in Abuja, disclosed its fine on AEDC, saying that it follows the electrocution of eight-year-old Faith Yakubu in Gwagwalada, one of Abuja Disco’s distribution franchise area.

It explained that a regulatory resolution reached by it had upheld the recommendations of the report of a panel it set up to investigate the electricity accident. According to the commission, the panel found Abuja Disco liable of operational negligence in the death of Yakubu.

NERC’s Chairman, Dr. Sam Amadi, equally told THISDAY that the commission had concluded its investigation into the electrocution and death of a 300 level student of the University of Lagos (UNILAG) and will in a matter of days arrive at the appropriate regulatory penalty for the distribution company, Eko Disco.

Eko Disco had also been found guilty of operational negligence in the death of UNILAG student, Oluchi Anekwe. Aside NERC’s, a government investigation carried out the Nigerian Electricity Management Services Agency (NEMSA) had also found the Disco guilty.
NERC said with regards to Abuja Disco: “AEDC shall pay Eighteen Million Naira (N18, 000, 000. 00) as compensation to the family of Faith Yakubu and communicate same to the Commission accordingly.”

Besides the N18 million fine, it also stated: “AEDC should ensure that the surviving four month old child undergoes medical check-up in a recognised hospital and evidence presented to the Commission for further directives.”

According to NERC, the accident occurred when a staff of AEDC disconnected a wire feeding the Yakubus’ residence over an allegation of accumulated bills and left the wire lying on the ground. The Disco’s staff equally failed to disconnect the wire from getting supply from the transformer.

NERC said that the deceased in her innocence was running an errand with the surviving four month old baby boy strapped on her back when she grabbed the wire in an attempt to cross over and she was electrocuted. The baby on her back however survived the accident.

The commission further directed AEDC to carry out regular safety enlightenment campaign in accordance with the Nigeria Electricity Safety Manual and Nigeria Electricity Safety Code.

AEDC was told by NERC to adequately train its staff on market regulations as well as ensure that its marketing units are provided with competent technical staff with the sole responsibility of carrying out the function of connection and disconnection of customers when all conditions for disconnections in line with NERC’s regulations have been met.

  • This Day
About the Author