7-year-old boy, 3 others injured in Lagos gas explosion

22 December 2015, Lagos – Seven-year-old boy, Okiki Alabede and three others suffered severe burns after a gas exploded at  a restaurant in Ogba, Ojodu Local Council Development Area, LCDA, damaging property worth millions.

Gas cylinder manufacturingOther victims were: Abiodun Salami, 27, Mustapha, 30 and a woman identified as Iya Elijah.

Vanguard learned that the gas exploded at about 1p.m. at the restaurant popularly called Rab Amala Shonola, located at No. 2A Shonola Street, Aguda Ogba  causing pandemonium in the community.

General Manager, Lagos State Emergency Management Agency, LASEMA, Mr. Michael Akindele and the Director of State Fire Service, Mr. Rasak Fadipe confirmed the incident.

They said that the leaked cylinder fell and exploded leading to fire outbreak in the area.

Akindele noted that five rooms within the building where the incident occurred were affected, adding that three of the affected victims with various degrees of burns were initially taken to Ifako Ijaye General Hospital but were later transferred to LASUTH.

The general Manager noted that the state emergency responders were able to curtail the spread of the fire to other parts of building.

He said “No life was lost in the incident. Emergency responders on ground include LASEMA team, fire officer from Alausa, LASAMBUS and Police officers from Area G.”

The LASEMA boss advised Lagosians on safety precautions while using gas cylinder also the need to install fire extinguishers in domestic and commercial facilities.

He added that further investigation would be carried out by the security operatives and other relevant agencies to forestall future occurrence.

Vanguard

About the Author