29 April 2016, Abuja – President Muhammadu Buhari has revealed that a multinational task force would soon be established to patrol the waters of the Gulf of Guinea.
He also stated that the troops from across the lake Chad basin were now combing the Sambisa Forest, a deadly den of the Boko haram insurgents.
The president made revelation while receiving the French Minister of Defence, Mr. Jean-Yves Le Drian who visited him at the presidential villa, Abuja on Thursday.
He explained that patrols by the multinational task force would complement and boost the efforts to improve security in the Gulf, and curb crude oil theft and piracy.
A statement by the presidential media adviser, Mr. Femi Adesina stated that President Buhari and Mr. Le Drian also discussed ongoing French support for the Federal Government’s efforts to end the Boko Haram insurgency.
The statement added that the President expressed his government’s appreciation of the assistance and support of France and other G7 countries, which he said, has helped Nigeria achieve significant successes against Boko Haram.
“When we got into office in May, last year, Boko Haram was effectively controlling at least 14 local government areas. But now, it is no longer so, and they have resorted to attacking soft targets with Improvised Explosive Devices.
“We are determined to secure all of our territories effectively. We are doing our best and our troops are now operating in the Sambisa Forest,” President Buhari said
The Minister assured President Buhari that France would continue to assist Nigeria to overcome Boko Haram, saying that all terrorists must be seen as common enemies of the free world.