Lagos — Solar technology tenders activity in Q2 2019 saw 348 tenders announced, marking a drop of 23% over the last four-quarter average of 453, according to GlobalData, a leading data and analytics company.
Looking at global power tenders activity divided by the type of technology, solar held the second position in terms of number of tenders during Q2 2019 with a 28% share.
The proportion of tenders by category in the solar technology tracked by GlobalData in the quarter was as follows:
- Project Implementation: 241 tenders and a 69.3% share
- Supply & Erection: 41 tenders and an 11.8% share
- Repair, Maintenance, Upgrade & Others: 23 tenders and a 6.6% share
- Consulting & Similar Services: 21 tenders and a 6% share
- Power Purchase Agreement: 16 tenders and a 4.6% share
- Electricity Supply: six tenders and a 1.7% share
Asia-Pacific leads solar tenders activity in Q2 2019
Comparing tenders activity in solar technology in different regions of the globe, Asia-Pacific held the top position with 233 tenders and a share of 67% during Q2 2019, followed by North America with 65 tenders and an 18.7% share and Middle East and Africa with 27 tenders and a 7.8% share.
In fourth place was Europe with 20 tenders and a 5.7% share and in fifth place was South and Central America with three tenders and a 0.9% share.
Solar technology tenders in Q2 2019: Top companies by capacity
The top issuers of tenders in solar technology for the quarter in terms of power capacity involved were:
- Solar Energy Corporation of India (India): 9,006MW from seven tenders
- NTPC (India): 2,187.03MW from six tenders
- Kuwait Authority for Partnership Projects (Kuwait): 2,000MW capacity from one tender