11 November 2013, Akure – The Niger Delta Development Commission (NDDC) has executed projects worth about N18 billion between 2012 and 2013 in various parts of Ondo State, mostly in the riverine Ilaje and Ese Odo Local Government areas, which are the core mandate areas of the commission.
The Ondo State Representative on the board of the NDDC, Mr. Dele Omogbemi, who disclosed this during an inspection tour of the projects located in various parts of the state, specifically said 90 per cent of the projects were located within the mandate areas while the remaining 10 per cent were in other areas of the state.
According to Omogbemi, the projects were awarded between 2012 and 2013, which was his own tenure adding that most projects had been completed while others were about 85 per cent completed.
The projects listed to have been executed are 132KVA sub power station at Igbokoda, Omotosho Power Transmission Project, upgrading of Igbokoda Electricity, land reclamation projects at Agba, construction of Ugbonla internal roads, and construction of Goodluck Jonathan Avenue at Igbotako.
Others are laboratory/ science blocks at Oyenusi Grammar School Ode-Irele and Aquinas College Akure, construction of one thousand male capacity hostel at Adekunle Ajasin University, Akungba-Akoko, and construction of Kiribo Ugbotu road in Ese-odo Local Government Area.
The statistics released by the NDDC office also listed Arogbo Shoreline protection project, Agadagba Obon/Arogbo road and bridge, construction of modern civic centre at Odonla, construction of modern hall at Ayetoro and Comprehensive health centre, distribution and installations of new transformers at Igbokoda, Okitipupa and Akure among other projects that are ready for unveiling.
He attributed the success recorded by the commission in the Niger Delta region to President Jonathan’s support and determination to make the region a paradise of sort through life impacting projects.
Omogbemi said the Igbokoda sub-power station costs over N500 million while Omotosho /Igbokoda Power Transmission Project costs N6.2 billion including compensations paid to land owners where the project traverses.
The NDDC representative Omogbemi said with the upgrading of Igbokoda electricity and installation of sub-power station in the area, incessant power outage will soon be over in Ilaje and Ese-odo local governments.
The NDDC chief said it was the objective and mission of the commission to turn the lives of the people in the Niger Delta region around and give them what is due for them at all times.
– James Sowole, This Day