15 June 2018, News Wires – Panama’s and Central America’s first liquefied natural gas (LNG) import terminal received on Thursday a commissioning cargo from Cheniere’s Sabine Pass plant in the US.
Engie’s 154,000-cbm LNG carrier Provalys docked at Panama’s Costa Norte LNG import terminal on Thursday morning, a spokeswoman for AES in Panama, one of the two developers in the project, confirmed to LNG World News in an emailed comment.
US energy company AES Corporation, through AES Colon, has a 50.1 percent stake in the $1.1 billion LNG-to-power project that includes a 380MW combined-cycle gas turbine (CCGT). The other 49.9 percent share belongs to Inversiones Bahia.
The Costa Norte LNG import terminal consists of a 180,000-cbm LNG tank, a jetty and regasification facilities. Total capacity of the LNG terminal is expected to be 1.5 million tonnes per annum (mtpa).
According to a statement by AES in Panama, Provalys will stay at the LNG import facility in Colon for about month and a half after it would be replaced by Engie’s second LNG carrier, Gaselys, which has the same characteristics.