24 April 2014, Abuja – The Federal Government on Wednesday announced that the country’s generated power has hit a record high of 4,105 megawatts.
According to the government, the rise in power generation was attributed to the reduction in system collapses, as well as improvement in services delivery, among other things.
Since the physical handover of the 18 successor companies of the defunct Power Holding Company of Nigeria to private investors by the President on November 1, 2013, electricity generation in the country has hovered around 3,000MW.
But the Federal Ministry of Power, in a statement signed by the Special Assistant to the Minister of Power on Communications, Ms. Kande Daniel, said the improvement was already felt in some areas.
It said it had received reports from across the country indicating that Nigerians now enjoy some measure of improvement in power supply in their homes, offices and business areas.
It said, “Nigeria’s power generation is coming up again with the current generated megawatts hitting over 4,000 as at Tuesday.”
The statement noted that after grid information was released early Wednesday, the country’s power generation capacity picked up, getting to 4105.9MW as at Tuesday.
The ministry revealed a breakdown of how the generated power was shared. It said the country’s industrial nerve-centre, Lagos and environs got the highest allocation, which was a maximum load totalling 985.0MW.
“The maximum load allocated to Abuja through Katampe and Gwagwalada power line was 410.80MW,” it added.
Meanwhile, it observed that the nation’s power generation capacity as at early Wednesday stood at 3795.3MW, and figures for the past few days indicated an averaging of about 3,800MW.
The government argued that the latest grid information had dismissed insinuations that power generation dropped to less than 2,000MW.
It also observed that the general view since mid-last week suggests that many households now enjoy enhanced power supply in their domain unlike what was obtainable in recent past when vandals tampered with several power installations in parts of the country.
The statement re-affirmed the Federal Government’s resolve to consolidate efforts at removing all bottlenecks to sufficiency in power supply.
It conveyed a fresh appeal from the Minster of Power, Prof. Chinedu Nebo, to Nigerians, as he called for more patience and understanding and assured that the emerging electricity market would stabilise and power supply would improve steadily.