Lagos — Total has declared a force majeure on the 12.8 million metric tonne per annum, MMTA, Liquefied Natural Gas, LNG, project in Afungi, Mozambique as a result of insecurity.
In a briefing released on Monday, the company said it had withdrew its personnel from the region.
“Considering the evolution of the security situation in the north of the Cabo Delgado province in Mozambique, Total confirms the withdrawal of all Mozambique LNG project personnel from the Afungi site”, the company said, adding that the situation had led it “ to declare force majeure”.
There had been Islamic insurgents attack in the Cabo Delgado province, leading to deaths of dozens of people and displacements of thousands.
“Total expresses its solidarity with the government and people of Mozambique and wishes that the actions carried out by the government of Mozambique and its regional and international partners will enable the restoration of security and stability in Cabo Delgado province in a sustained manner”, the company said.
“Total E&P Mozambique Area 1 Limitada, a wholly owned subsidiary of Total SE, operates Mozambique LNG with a 26.5% participating interest alongside ENH Rovuma Área Um, S.A. (15%), Mitsui E&P Mozambique Area1 Limited (20%), ONGC Videsh Rovuma Limited (10%), Beas Rovuma Energy Mozambique Limited (10%), BPRL Ventures Mozambique B.V. (10%), and PTTEP Mozambique Area 1 Limited (8.5%)”.