17 September 2013, Lusaka – Maamba Collieries Limited, MCL, has completed 45 per cent of the work on the construction of two by 150 mega watt coal-powered electricity generation plants in Sinazongwe District.
MCL chief operating officer Gurram Venkata-Narayana said in a statement in Lusaka Monday that the company was on schedule with the project.
Mr Gurram said 2,000 jobs would be created during the peak of construction, while the gradual recruitment of 80 engineers had started with the initial 21 already on site.
He said commissioning of the power plant was still scheduled for October next year and that, the power line to connect to the Zesco national grid at Muzuma near Choma was also underway.
Mr Gurram said the power plant would greatly reduce the load-shedding which was good for the Zambian economy and consumers.
He said the drainage to accommodate the pipelines to transport water from Kariba Dam to Maamba had also progressed.
Singapore-based Nava Bharat Ventures (NBV) Limited owns 65 per cent shares in MCL, while the remaining 35 per cent is held by the Zambian Government through the Zambia Consolidated Copper Mines–Investment Holdings.
Zambia has been experiencing intermittent electricity black-outs infamously known as load-shedding that had been a major threat to industrial activity.
This has resulted from high electricity demand against limited generation capacity by Zesco.
– Times of Zambia