￼12 August 2013, News Wires – State-run Brazilian company Petrobras has confirmed an oil discovery in the the BM-SEAL-11 concession area on Block SEAL-M-426, in the ultra-deepwater of the Sergipe basin, off Brazil.
The 3-SES-176D extension well, informally known as Farfan-1, confirmed the extent of the previous light oil discovery in the Farfan area, in turbidite sandstones of the upper campanian, made in 2012.
The extension well was drilled in the Farfan area, about five kilometres from the discovery well which hit a 44-metre hydrocarbon column last year.
Petrobras said the latest well had confirmed a 51-meter thick reservoir, featuring good permo-porosity characteristics, adding it planned to carry out a formation test to assess reservoir productivity once the well reaches total depth.
Petrobras operates the BM-SEAL-11 concession area, holding a 60% stake and partner IBV-BRASIL holding the remaining 40%.