
Mkpoikana Udoma
Port Harcourt — In a massive operation against crude oil theft, troops of the Nigerian Army, 6 Division, Port Harcourt have arrested 39 suspected oil thieves and destroyed 18 illegal refining sites across the Niger Delta region.
The week-long operation, conducted from March 24 to March 30, 2025, targeted multiple hotspots of crude oil theft in Rivers, Bayelsa, Delta, Akwa Ibom, and Imo States, leading to the seizure of over 60,000 litres of stolen crude and illegally refined petroleum products.
The Nigerian Army in a statement by the Acting Deputy Director, 6 Division Army Public Relations, Lieutenant Colonel Danjuma Jonah Danjuma, emphasized that its operations against crude oil theft will continue across the Niger Delta region until oil theft and illegal bunkering are completely eradicated.
The statement reads, “In Rivers State, troops intercepted a fabricated twin-tank truck loaded with 18,000 litres of stolen crude along Chokocho Road in Etche Local Government Area. They also seized a diesel truck with reg number LXA44XA that had been concealed with bags of sawdust to disguise stolen petroleum products.
“The suspects abandoned the vehicle and fled on sighting troops,” the Nigerian Army said in a statement.
“Further operations in Imo River, Rumuekpe Forest, and Ogba/Egbema/Ndoni LGA led to the dismantling of multiple illegal refining sites, with over 15,000 litres of stolen crude recovered.
“In Bayelsa State, the military crackdown yielded significant results in Yenagoa and Southern Ijaw LGAs. Troops discovered two illegal refining sites with over 8,000 litres of crude oil stored in drums and sacks in Adibawa, Yenagoa LGA.
“At Okighene, Southern Ijaw LGA, another illegal refining site was dismantled, yielding 1,500 litres of stolen crude and 300 litres of illegally refined Automotive Gas Oil.
“In Delta State, troops struck at Egbokodo Itsekiri Community, Warri South LGA, seizing several jerrycans filled with illegally refined AGO and destroying cellophane bags used for smuggling stolen products.”
Meanwhile, in Akwa Ibom State, troops intensified security patrols, ensuring oil thieves “no longer have freedom of action,” according to the military.
Reacting to the crackdown, the General Officer Commanding of 6 Division, Nigerian Army, Major General Emmanuel Eric Emekah, vowed to escalate the offensive against crude oil theft and ensure the region remains safe for legitimate oil exploration.
“We will sustain this crackdown to create an enabling environment for oil operations to thrive seamlessly,” Emekah said.
He warned oil thieves to abandon their illegal trade or be ready to face the full weight of the law.