Block partner Ophir Energy said the Mkizi-1 well had hit 33 metres of net gas pay in three reservoir intervals within a Tertiary aged stacked channel complex.
It added that estimated mean recoverable resource at Mkizi-1 remained in line with its pre-drill estimate of 600 billion cubic feet.
“The successful Mkizi-1 well is our ninth discovery in Tanzania and continues our 100% strike rate in country, adding further resource to our existing discoveries in Block 1,” Ophir chief executive Nick Cooper said.
The well was drilled using the drillship Deepsea Metro I in a water depth of roughly 1301 metres, between the Mzia and Jodari discoveries.
BG operates Block 1 with a 60% interest and Ophir holds the remaining 40% equity in the block.
The drillship will now be moved to drill two appraisal wells and carry out a drill stem test on the Pweza discovery in Block 4.
*Josh Lewis, Upstreamonline