12 September 2012, Sweetcrude, LAGOS – THE Nigerian government has described as false reports of a decline in its power output by 1,000 megawatts, mw, saying the country’s power facilities only saw a minor system disturbance.
Responding to the report, the Presidential Taskforce on Power, PTFP, said rather than a drop, the country retained a peak generation of 4,077mw.
A statement by the media adviser to the chairman of PTFP, Mr. Ikeogu Oke, in Abuja, admitted that there was a system disturbance which occurred on September 7, 2012 but that it was only temporary and was quickly taken care of to forestall further damage.
He stated that there is no vacuum of capable leadership in the Ministry of Power or its complementary PTFP.
The government through the Minister of State for Power, Mr. Darius Ishaku, also restated its commitment, Tuesday, to the successful implementation of the power sector reforms towards achieving improved electricity supply in the country.
The minister, who spoke in Lagos Tuesday at the inauguration of the Ikeja Forum for Electricity Consumers, said the main agenda of the power reform was to provide adequate, reliable and affordable power supply to Nigerians.
According to him, the success recorded so far in power generation was beyond the contribution of any individual and the government would build on the improvement recorded in electricity supply.
He said electricity supply across the country hovers around 4,300megawatts.