29 December 2011, Sweetcrude, ABAKALIKI—Six persons were Wednesday confirmed dead, while six others are now receiving treatment at the Presbyterian Joint Hospital, Uburu, in Ohaozara local government area of Ebonyi State after in-haling fume emanating from a generating set.
The victims, who are members of the same family, died of suffocation on Tuesday.
Reacting to the incident, Chairman of Ohaozara local government area, Mr. Ogbuefi Akpa, who expressed shock over the death of the family members, added that he had visited the hospital where he charged the management to ensure that adequate medical attention was given to the victims.
He noted that the deputy governor of the state, Engr Dave Umahi, had equally visited the hospital to commiserate with the family of the victims and made a donation N100,000.
An eyewitness, Mr John Kish Onu said the incident occurred when the family went to bed without putting off their generating set they kept along the passage of their house.
According to Onu, six other members of the family were rushed to the Presbyterian Joint Hospital, Uburu, where they are receiving urgent medical attention.
“Their parents went to bed first before the children and because one of the children was sick, the children had gathered to pray for a sick member of the family. After the prayers, one of them carried the generator to the passage and left it there”.
“Meanwhile, one of the doors at the passage which led to where they were sleeping was open while they went to bed without knowing the implication of their action. In the morning, people expected them to be awake but that didn’t happen as they were all lying helpless and dead.
“They are about 12 that slept in the room. At present, six children have been confirmed dead, while six are in the hospital,” he said.
The Police Public Relations Officer of the Ebonyi state command, Mr John Eluu, who also confirmed the incident, however, pointed out that six others were in critical condition.